Mortgage applications decreased slightly, falling just 1.1% from last week, according to data from the Mortgage Bankers Association’s Weekly Mortgage Applications Survey for the week ending March 16, 2018.

On an unadjusted basis, the index increased 1% from the previous week.

The Refinance Index decreased 5% from the previous week and the Purchase Index increased 2% from last week.

The refinance share of mortgage activity fell again, continuing to drop past its lowest level since Sept. 2008. This week’s report shows refis made up 38.5% of total applications, down 1.6% from the 40.1% share reported during the previous week.

The adjustable-rate mortgage share of activity decreased to 7% of total applications.

The Federal Housing Administration share of applications decreased to 10.3%, down just .1% from last week percentage of 10.4%, and the Veterans Affairs' share of applications increased from 10.3% to 10.7%. The Department of Agriculture share of total applications decreased to 0.8%, down just .1% from last week’s percentage of 0.9%.

The MBA reported mortgage interest rates for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with conforming loan balances ($453,100 or less) decreased from last week’s 4.69% to 4.68% this week.

The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages with jumbo loan balances (greater than $453,100) remained at 4.55%, unchanged from last week.

The average contract interest rate for 30-year fixed-rate mortgages backed by the FHA decreased to 4.69% from 4.73% the previous week.

The average contract interest rate for 15-year fixed-rate mortgages increased to its highest level since April 2011, coming in at 4.12% from last week’s 4.07%.

Lastly, the average contract interest rate for 5/1 ARMs decreased to 3.83%, falling .10% from last week’s 3.93%.

Most Popular Articles

HomeStreet Bank fined for kickbacks to real estate agents, homebuilders

The FDIC announced Wednesday that it reached a settlement with HomeStreet Bank after an investigation found that HomeStreet had paid kickbacks to real estate agents and homebuilders in exchange for their mortgage business.

Nov 06, 2019 By

Latest Articles

Offerpad will let buyers customize their homes before they move in

Arizona-based iBuyer Offerpad recently announced its latest feature, one that allows homebuyers to customize their homes before moving in. According to company, consumers, upon selecting an available listing through the company’s app or website, will be able to select and visualize customization options.

Nov 11, 2019 By