The HW Vanguard Awards program recognizes C-level industry professionals and business unit leaders who have become leaders in their respective fields within housing and mortgage finance — those whose leadership is moving markets forward, each and every day.
The HW Vanguard Award recognizes leaders of businesses contributing to the growth of the housing economy and its various sectors, including lending, servicing, investments, and real estate. They come from diverse backgrounds, and may run established companies or start-ups, but share one common trait: an unmistakable impact on the industry at-large.
We encourage a wide range of leaders to apply for consideration for this unique and powerful recognition, one of the only of its kind in the industry.
Honorees will be profiled in the October/November issue of HousingWire and will receive ongoing recognition on HousingWire.com. Honorees will also receive a one-year subscription to HousingWire Magazine.
- Nomination period: July 6, 2021 – July 23, 2021
- Winners announced: October/November issue of HousingWire Magazine
Eligibility & Criteria
Nominees must be a CEO, Chairman, President, EVP or similar top-level leader of a business unit in the U.S. housing economy: this includes businesses in residential mortgage lending, servicing, investments, or real estate. Each application must provide tangible evidence of industry impact, primarily focused upon the past 12 months.
What do we mean by industry impact? Good question, and the term is intentionally broad. We’re looking to see leaders who have led their companies to new heights; who have launched bold new initiatives, products or services designed to improve U.S. housing finance or real estate; who have served their industry in meaningful ways outside of their own company; who have influenced policy or industry standards. Impact doesn’t always need to be measured in quantifiable terms, but it’s always visible, which is why we use the word “tangible” to describe the standard we’re looking for when we select a Vanguard.
Submissions are non-transferable and non-refundable.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the submission questions?
– What is your elevator pitch? Provide us with an elevator pitch on why this nominee should be considered as a 2021 Vanguard. 2-3 sentences recommended.
– Professional excellence and leadership. Provide examples on your nominee’s professional excellence and leadership within her organization, focusing particularly on the last 12 months as applicable. You may also include any volunteer work or trade organizations she is a part of.
– Contribution to your organization. Provide the reasons this person is so valuable to your organization, focusing particularly on the last 12 months as applicable, using metrics and specific examples.
– Select ONE of the following questions:
– What has been your secret to success?
– What one habit has made a crucial difference in your success?
– What’s the best advice you’ve ever received?
2. What is HousingWire’s Vanguard Awards program?
The HW Vanguard Award is a program recognizing C-level housing industry professionals making an impressionable impact in lending, servicing, investment, or real estate.
3. When will HousingWire announce the winners of this year’s Vanguard Award?
Winners will be announced on HousingWire.com in early October, and in the October/November special double-issue of HousingWire Magazine.
4. What are the qualifications for consideration?
The HW Vanguard Award recognizes C-Level leaders that are contributing to the growth of the housing economy and its various sectors, including lending, servicing, investments and real estate. They come from diverse backgrounds, and may run established companies or start-ups, but share one common trait: an unmistakable impact on the industry at-large.
5. Who decides who will make the list of HW Vanguard Award winners?
A panel of HousingWire’s editors and reporters will decide.
6. How can I nominate someone?
Nominations must be submitted via HousingWire’s official award submission application.
7. Why is there a nomination fee?
It takes a significant amount of time and resources for HousingWire’s editorial team members to organize and successfully determine who will be named to this year’s list.
8. Can I just call you or send you an e-mail with the name of the person I’d like to nominate?
No. We need to have the application completed, including contact information for the person you are nominating.
9. I want to nominate my boss, but would it be better if someone higher up nominated him? Can I nominate a family member?
You can nominate yourself, a client, a family member, your boss, an employee, or an acquaintance. The most important thing is that you state a clear, business-oriented reason for the nomination.
10. Does it help if many people nominate the same person?
No. In fact, it sends a negative impression if there is evidence of an organized campaign to send many nominations.
11. Will more than one nominee from the same company be considered?
Yes, multiple executives from the same company can be nominated and will each receive consideration.
12. How does the process work?
After we receive a nomination, HousingWire editorial staff members vet the candidates and submit lists to the editors. The editors then hold a series of meetings to determine which candidates will be chosen. We strive to come up with a diverse list that represents a broad spectrum of the industries we cover. The process takes a significant amount of time over a compressed schedule.
13. What is required of those who are selected?
Candidates who are selected may be required to make themselves available for an interview with a reporter. They may also be required to make themselves available for a photoshoot.
14. Can I contact you to see how my nominee is doing in the judging process?
No. We don’t give status reports. If we need any further information, we will contact you. Please be patient.
15. I want to be picked for the HW Vanguard Award program. Will it help to hire a public relations firm?
No. Publicists often submit candidates, but they do not influence the judging.
16. I was not selected for the HW Vanguard Award. Can you tell me why?
With hundreds of candidates and only a few spots available, the majority of hopefuls will not be chosen. We cannot explain why you weren’t picked because it won’t be for any one reason, but for reasons that have to do with presenting a diverse range of professions and professionals spanning the U.S. housing economy.
Award Materials, Licensing, Permissions, and Reprints
For additional award materials, like plaques please visit our online store here.
For award logos, permissions, and reprints, please reach out to Makenna Clay. All winners will now be provided the award logo to use as they wish to promote their win.