An Insider’s Look Into How Secondary Marketing Evaluates LOs

In this webinar we’ll explore the long-term financial impacts of renegotiations, extensions and fallouts, plus basic guidelines to be viewed as a professional by your secondary marketing department

HousingWire Annual Virtual Summit

Sessions from HousingWire Annual 2021 are going to be virtually streamed on October 25. Register now for FREE to tune into what housing industry leaders had to say this year!

How servicers can access timely, accurate data insights

Learn how to navigate the challenges in today’s market – for example, the need for ongoing, on-demand access to near-real-time data and the ability to access those data insights in a timely and accurate manner.

Steve Murray on new brokerage models, CFPB crackdowns

Today’s HousingWire Daily features a discussion on the emergence of a new brokerage model and the validity behind the concerns against institutional investors.

Mortgage

20% of nationÕ homes are now losing value

Where are the strongest and weakest markets going forward?

The nation’s home prices are still on the rise, but the rate of growth is slowing considerably. According to VeroFORECAST from Veros Real Estate Solutions, home prices are expected to rise 2.5% in the nation’s 100 top metro areas between now and June 1, 2015.

That’s down from the last VeroFORECAST, released in May, which projected homes to appreciate by 3.4% for the 12-month period ending March 31, 2015.

This marks the eighth consecutive quarter where the index has shown forecast appreciation, but the pace has continued to slow down, according to Eric Fox, Veros’ vice president of statistical and economic modeling and developer of VeroFORECAST.

In Veros’ previous forecast, the rate of home price appreciation dropped to 3.4% from 5.1% in the previous quarter.

According to Veros’ data, homes in approximately 80% of the country’s real estate markets are expected to appreciate in value in the next 12 months. The remaining 20% of the markets are expected to depreciate in the next 12 months.

Additionally, all but the most upbeat markets are slowing in their value improvements, Veros said.

All five of the markets that Veros projects to the strongest in terms of price appreciation over the next 12 months are in either California or Texas.

“San Jose housing supplies are down and San Francisco is seeing a serious housing shortage,” Fox said. “Inventories in both are down 70% from their peak in 2008 and demand is outstripping supply, leading to price run-ups and decreased affordability despite low interest rates. There just aren’t enough houses available that people can afford to buy, so those that remain are hotly contested.”

Here are the five markets that Veros thinks will appreciate the most in the next year:

1.     San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, California – 10.6% increase

2.     San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA – 10.5% increase        

3.     Austin-Round Rock, Texas –10% increase

4.     San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA – 9% increase

5.     Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX – 8.9% increase

On the other end of the spectrum, markets in parts of Illinois, New Jersey and Pennsylvania are forecast to be among the poorest performers. Here are the five markets that Veros expects appreciation to be the weakeast in the next year:

1.     Rockford, Illinois – 3.4% decrease

2.     Trenton-Ewing, New Jersey – 2.9% decrease

3.     Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania – 2.6% decrease

4.     Poughkeepsie- Newburgh-Middletown, New York – 2.5% decrease

5.     Atlantic City, NJ – 2.2% decrease

In the previous quarter’s update, the weakest market, Atlantic City, tracked at -2.5%, faring better than this quarter’s weakest, Rockford, Illinois, at -3.4%.

“Rockford real estate is experiencing hard times, going from -2.6% to -3.4% in a single quarter,” Fox said. “The culprit is its 10.4% unemployment rate coupled with a flat population growth trend.

“These are familiar and persistent themes among the weakest markets. In summary, we are still seeing good appreciation in the top markets, but there is definite slowing overall.”

Most Popular Articles

FHFA to make desktop appraisals permanent

Desktop appraisals, a temporary flexibility implemented in March 2020 amid lockdowns and social distancing, will become permanent, the FHFA said today.

Oct 18, 2021 By

Latest Articles

Mortgage execs better prepare for redlining enforcement

Since Rohit Chopra was confirmed as the new director of the CFPB in September, there’s been one particular word on the lips of mortgage executives. And it gives them chills: redlining. HW+ Premium Content

Oct 20, 2021 By
3d rendering of a row of luxury townhouses along a street

Log In

Forgot Password?

Don't have an account? Please