Proficio Doubles Outside Sales Force, Ramps Up Reverse Mortgage Sales

As the reverse mortgage lender landscape continues to shift due to program changes and origination strategies, one relatively new lender has quietly risen the ranks to the top 10 originators. 

Proficio Mortgage, which made a major play at the reverse mortgage space in 2012 with the hire of more than 100 former First National Bank of Layton call center originators, has more recently added a boots-on-the-ground network to bolster its production and expand its presence nationwide. 

The changes are paying off, says Joe Rizzo, a reverse mortgage veteran who along with John Metcalf, was hired to help grow the business earlier this year. 

“The team is now spread out from California to New York,” Rizzo told RMD of the expansion, which has led to a team now 40 strong across the nation. 

With the support of a national bank charter, Proficio is bank approved in 50 states and is originating HECM reverse mortgages in 48. The company has grown its production to now having market share of 4.3%—No. 7 on the list of the top 10 lenders for March as reported by Reverse Market Insight. 

“We’re an interesting underdog,” Rizzo says. 

The new sales team is focused on organic growth and focusing on the channels that are most efficient and effective at a given time, says John Metcalf.

“We’ve grown on the outside pretty organically. We have been in the top 10 and flown under the radar,” he says. 

The team is aiming to grow its outside sales force to around 100 originators total with a series of strategic initiatives it is under way to achieving. Currently the company counts about 80% of its loan volume originated through the call center approach while the remaining 20% is originated through its outside sales channel. They’re aiming to increase the boots on the ground volume to twice that proportion, or 40%.

The changing reverse mortgage landscape is presenting an opportunity to the company, it’s leadership says. 

“We think this is one of the best times to be in the industry,” Rizzo says. “We’re excited about what’s ahead of us.”

Written by Elizabeth Ecker

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular Articles

3d rendering of a row of luxury townhouses along a street

Log In

Forgot Password?

Don't have an account? Please