National vacancy rates in Q210 were overall level from the previous quarter, according to updated data today from the Census Bureau. The 2.5% vacancy rate of owner-occupant housing units was only 10 basis points (bps) below the previous quarter and remained level with the year-ago quarter. The rental housing market’s vacancy rate of 10.6% in Q210 was level with the previous quarter and year-ago quarter. Additionally, the homeownership rate slipped to 66.9%, nearly level with 67.1% in the previous quarter: The ownership housing vacancy rate in principal cities — 3% — was higher than in the suburbs and outside metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) — 2.4% each. Vacancy was lowest in the Northeast — 1.4% — where the rate was also much lower than 2% in the previous year. Vacancy in Q210 was highest in the South — 2.9%. Approximately 85.6% of housing units were occupied in Q210, and the remaining 14.4% were vacant. Owner-occupied housing units made up 57.3% of total housing units, while renter-occupied units made up 28.3% of inventory. Write to Diana Golobay.

Most Popular Articles

Here's where the real housing affordability crisis exists

Some housing pundits report the demand for housing is strong, while these same pundits, on another day say that we are in a housing affordability crisis. Can the two narratives be accurate at the same time?

Feb 17, 2020 By

Latest Articles

These are the best places to work in housing

Fortune Magazine and Great Place to Work this week announced the winners of its 2020 Best Companies to Work For list, ranking America’s best workplace environments for large companies. And multiple industry titans in the housing space made the list.

Feb 21, 2020 By
3d rendering of a row of luxury townhouses along a street

Log In

Forgot Password?

Don't have an account? Please