The month of October brought more foreclosure filings across the United States, although activity levels are still down 19% from last year, RealtyTrac said Thursday.

The Irvine, Calif.-based foreclosure research firm reported 186,455 default notices, scheduled auctions and bank repossessions. That is up 3% from September and indicates that one out of every 706 U.S. homes faced a foreclosure filing last month.

“We continued to see vastly different foreclosure trends across the country in October, depending primarily on how each state’s foreclosing infrastructure was able to handle the high volume of delinquent loans during the worst of the foreclosure crisis in 2010,” said Daren Blomquist, vice president of RealtyTrac.

He added, “Unfortunately the three states dealing with the biggest rebound in deferred foreclosure activity — New Jersey, New York and Connecticut — also had to deal with the devastation to homes inflicted by super storm Sandy.”

Foreclosure moratoriums in areas hit by Sandy will further delay foreclosure activity in Northeast states, RealtyTrac said.

The states with the steepest foreclosure increase over last year included New Jersey, where filings rose 140%, New York (123% increase), and Connecticut (41% jump).  

Still in October, foreclosure activity in New Jersey, New York and Connecticut counties impacted by the hurricane fell 8% from September, while remaining 92% above year ago levels.

kpanchuk@housingwire.com

 

Most Popular Articles

3 housing trends to watch for in 2020

The year 2020 is now upon us, and as we say goodbye to 2019, we welcome a new decade and all the twists and turns it will bring for the housing industry.

Dec 02, 2019 By

Latest Articles

When it comes to their home, Millennials are picky

According to a new data set from the National Association of Home Builders, Millennials care just as much (if not more) about they want in a house rather than what they need.

Dec 05, 2019 By
3d rendering of a row of luxury townhouses along a street

Log In

Forgot Password?

Don't have an account? Please