Bob Broeksmit: Playing to your strengths in business and on Capitol Hill
Today, HousingWire CEO Clayton Collins talks with an industry leader who is well known to many of you: Bob Broeksmit, the President and CEO of the Mortgage Bankers Association (MBA). With over 35 years of senior finance and mortgage executive experience, Broeksmit brings a depth of knowledge across many facets of the industry, including marketing, sales, operations, secondary marketing, and loan servicing, to his role at MBA.
Prior to joining the MBA in 2018, he held executive roles at Treliant, Chevy Chase Bank, Prudential Home Mortgage and The Money Store.
This compelling conversation charts Broeksmit’s journey through mortgage to his transition leading a trade association and how he measures success at a nonprofit. Collins and Broeksmit also discuss the challenges and opportunities facing leaders amid difficult housing market conditions and the top priorities he sees for mortgage in 2024.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Mortgage industry leaders must understand and align with board and member objectives through effective communication.
- Trade associations need strong relationships and credibility to influence policy decisions affecting the industry and secure a place in discussions.
- A nonprofit trade association measures success by delivering value to members, advocating for their interests, and effectively addressing industry challenges.
- Leaders should adapt leadership to housing market conditions, focusing on controllable areas to support members.
- Collaboration among housing industry stakeholders ensures unified advocacy for beneficial policies.
- Top priorities for the mortgage industry in 2024 include increasing mortgage demand, addressing supply constraints, and optimizing servicing operations.
- Various factors drive mergers and consolidation in the mortgage industry, including strategic focus, scale, and personal considerations of the involved leaders.
Related to this episode:
The Power House podcast is a show about leadership, markets and entrepreneurship in the housing industry. Each Thursday, Clayton Collins speaks with CEOs and founders to reveal how the most impactful executives think about business growth, operational strategy, and leadership.