We are looking for an energetic and enthusiastic graphic designer with a passion for the creative process. The ideal person will flourish in a busy newsroom while creating our monthly print magazine.
The designer will work closely with our editorial department to develop and execute the cover and all feature sections for an 80- to 96-page monthly magazine with national distribution. Some print ad design is involved, but the position mostly entails executing editorial content, with photos, original illustrations and text. The designer will coordinate with our printer and editorial team through all phases of the production process.
The designer will also work with our marketing department to design and execute web ads and HTML emails, provide conference support, and design logos and other product collateral.
There will also be opportunities to assist with the creation of design elements, infographics, graphics, etc. for use on HousingWire.com, either for articles or videos.
- Manage design and layout of HousingWire Magazine, an 80- to 96-page monthly magazine with national distribution
- Work closely with the editorial team to develop and execute the cover and all feature sections
- Work with sponsored content team on layout and design of sponsored content sections and features for magazine
- Curate and design photos, original illustrations and text that align with HousingWire brand standards and our energetic look and feel
- Coordinate with our printer through all phases of the production process, including proofs, etc.
- Collaborate with marketing to design and produce sales collateral and marketing materials
- Drive creative direction of the print magazine, digital programs and the overall HousingWire brand. Experience managing a style guide would be a bonus!
- Video production for HousingWire interviews and sponsored content campaigns
- At least two years of design experience, preferably experience working with print products
- Mastery of the Adobe product suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and InCopy, as well as digital platforms
- A familiarity with WordPress will be helpful in adapting to our digital platform
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment: we are a small office and while we do have processes, we also have to be flexible. Must work well with others and enjoy being part of a collaborative, dynamic team
- Ability to develop original design concepts for multiple, simultaneous projects
- Ability to collaborate with newsroom staff, whether that is for quick infographics for our news wire service or in-depth features
- Someone who can bring their identity into the workplace, someone who refuses to tolerate boredom and routine
- Someone who brings energy to the job and has a positive attitude, reflecting our culture
- Autonomous worker, a self-starter who can manage multiple projects at once