HousingWire is hiring a Reporter to support our Editors in covering important stories, write tickers on press releases and develop thoughtful service-journalism for real estate agents, mortgage loan originators and other housing industry professionals.
At HousingWire we take pride in covering news and information that helps real estate and mortgage professionals stay informed so they can make smart decisions and be more successful in their careers. We connect with our audience through many channels, including HousingWire.com, multiple email newsletters, HousingWire Magazine, social media, and in-person events. Journalists at HousingWire have a strong focus on digital-first journalism, but also have the opportunity to write for HousingWire Magazine, as well as our premium content membership, HW+.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Create a minimum of 4 content pieces daily for HousingWire.com
- Quick rewrites of press releases
- Uncover new story angles and build strong sources in the housing finance industry
- Consistently meet deadlines, while delivering stories that meet HW’s editorial standards
- Leverage the expertise and guidance of other reporters and editors to continually grow as a journalist
Required Experience and Skills:
- BA/BS, preferably in English, Journalism, or Communications
- At least one year relevant experience, preferably as a journalist
- A digital citizen: a basic understanding of HTML, as well as an understanding of how to use social media (Twitter, LinkedIn) to build an audience
- Ability to deliver outstanding work under deadline pressure
- Competitive nature, a driver who wants to be the first to break news and develop “news nowhere else” stories
- Creative thinker who can find new angles that others haven’t yet thought about
- Must work well with others and enjoy being part of a team
- Familiar with AP Style, and strong command of the English language
- Eager to travel, attend conferences and meet sources and industry leaders in-person
- Strong Slack game
Founded 10 years ago, HousingWire has quickly built the largest audience and most well-respected brand in housing finance news and media. Today, our media platforms reach more than 7 million annual unique visitors and our audience relies on our news and information to Move Markets Forward.
The HousingWire culture can be best described as enabling and flexible. We seek to enable our team members with the tools, resources and opportunity to achieve great things. We work as a team, but know when to be autonomous and independent. Confident, energetic and creative people thrive at HousingWire.
Reports to: Managing Editor
Job Location: Dallas, TX