Nearly 4,500 real estate finance professionals will descend on San Diego this weekend for the Mortgage Bankers Association's 102nd Annual Convention & Expo.
Marcia Davies, MBA chief of staff and chief operating officer, said pre-registration numbers have already exceeded last year's total in Las Vegas.
"MBA members are showing up in force," Davies said. "The growth we've seen at this year's annual surpasses last year's by several hundred."
The Convention officially begins this Sunday, Oct. 18, and runs through Wednesday, Oct. 21.
HousingWire will be there in force for news coverage.
And while there’s an agenda chock-full of critical and provocative seminars, sessions and discussion panels, there’s also plenty of time in the off hours to explore San Diego.
Mariana De Saracho, concierge at Hotel Solamar, provided the following to HousingWire — a list of the best off-hours activities and restaurants, all but one of which is within walking distance of the convention center. (And San Diego does have Uber, for the win.)
- The Shout House - 655 4th Ave: a dueling piano bar and restaurant
- Comedy Club - 818 B 6th Ave: a comedy club, and the hotel has a lot of free tickets to go to a show on Sunday night. Just ask the front desk if you'd like some
- The Barley Mash - 600 5th Ave: a sports bar with live music most nights. Also this bar does have some good food!
- East Village Tarven & Bowling - 930 Market St: a place to drink and go blowing!
- The Lamplighter - 817 W Washington St: for Karaoke lovers!
- The Blind Burro - 639 J Street: Fresh Mexican food and it is right across the street from the hotel
- La Puerta - 560 4th Ave: Mexican food, yummy margaritas and happy hour, all day Monday 50% off all appetizers
- Asti - 728 5th Ave: Italian Food
- Bice - 425 Island S:t Italian Food
- Rustic Root - 535 5th Ave: Rustic American food
- Searsuckers - 611 5th Ave: delicious American food
- Greystone - 658 5th Ave: Steak house
- Puesto - Excellent Mexican Restaurant and It is at Seaport Village (just under a mile walking distance) where there are a lot of gift shops. It's a nice place to walk around.
All of the above except the Lamplighter karaoke bar are within walking distance.
So get your MBA on, and we’ll see in you in San Diego.