Mishkin says Fed needs to exit mortgage business
The Federal Reserve should get out of the business of owning mortgage backed securities and should have a top priority of selling them, Frederic Mishkin, former Fed governor and a Columbia University professor, said Wednesday.
"Controlling more than $1trn in mortgages is a huge danger to the Federal Reserve," Mishkin said. "The big, big deal going forward is the fact that the Federal Reserve is in a very, very difficult position.”
“It’s very engaged in a private market. In fact, it’s the most politicized of all the financial markets in this country," Mishkin added.
Don’t miss out: get HW delivered via email
- Current Chg.
- NASDAQ 3498.97 33.722 ^ixic
- S&P 500 1669.16 2.87 ^gspc
- Volatility Index 13.37 0.35 ^vix
- KBW Mort. Financial Index 32.91 -0.23 ^mfx
- MSCI US REIT Index 1070.38 6.97 ^rmz