Here are the 14 most outrageously expensive neighborhoods for renters

Here are the 14 most outrageously expensive neighborhoods for renters

Markets where you'll spend more than half your income on living

HousingWire reveals the 50 fastest-growing companies in housing economy

Inaugural 2014 HW Fast50 ranks public, private companies on revenue growth

Judge throws out Fannie and Freddie investors’ lawsuit

Decision favors Federal government
W S

Housing Vacancy, Homeownership Rates Remain Level in Q210

/ Print / Reprints /
| Share More
/ Text Size+
National vacancy rates in Q210 were overall level from the previous quarter, according to updated data today from the Census Bureau. The 2.5% vacancy rate of owner-occupant housing units was only 10 basis points (bps) below the previous quarter and remained level with the year-ago quarter. The rental housing market's vacancy rate of 10.6% in Q210 was level with the previous quarter and year-ago quarter. Additionally, the homeownership rate slipped to 66.9%, nearly level with 67.1% in the previous quarter: The ownership housing vacancy rate in principal cities -- 3% -- was higher than in the suburbs and outside metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) -- 2.4% each. Vacancy was lowest in the Northeast -- 1.4% -- where the rate was also much lower than 2% in the previous year. Vacancy in Q210 was highest in the South -- 2.9%. Approximately 85.6% of housing units were occupied in Q210, and the remaining 14.4% were vacant. Owner-occupied housing units made up 57.3% of total housing units, while renter-occupied units made up 28.3% of inventory. Write to Diana Golobay.

Recent Articles by Diana Golobay

Comments powered by Disqus